a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

How ' bout more metaphors?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Thursday, February 06, 2003 at 18:26:51 :

In Reply to: Re: . . . only for certain kinds of rides. posted by Matt on Wednesday, February 05, 2003 at 16:59:33 :

: : Somtimes the ride run by the guy that won't let anyone on that doesn't have the right ticket isn;t really worth riding.

: ok LOSE the metaphor!
------------------------------------
If you jump through hoops, you'll invariably end up landing at the feet of the trainer holding the hoops.

If you play your cards right, the house still has the advantage.

Okay, I'll lose the metaphor. School and college is a ticket --it opens doors and gives an advantage. But where do the doors open to (I can't get rid of the metaphors!)? Well, they open onto things like the foot of the corporate ladder. They open onto things like middle management, like marketing reports and "bored" rooms and performance evaluations and overtime. They open onto black holes. You start at entry0level and end up getting sucked forward the rest of your working days. Fun gets left behind, soul gets left behind, and when you comlpain about it people tell you things like, "Who said life is suppose to be fun," and " NO pain no gain," and "you can enjoy yourself when you retire." Who fed this garbage to these people?

Sorry, I just couldn't put those metaphors down.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism