a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: Poetry

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by couldbe on Monday, February 03, 2003 at 15:38:00 :

In Reply to: Poetry posted by Matt on Sunday, February 02, 2003 at 17:44:45 :

I basically agree, but

:This is why the simplest poetry is the best; it is the most basic portrayal of the most basic emotions of humanity

so long as it DOES portray emotions, right?

I'd say that written poetry is the right symbol in the right place.

I appreciate the Gaudi quote.

: I've finally come to understand pretty much how poetry comes. When you're talking to someone, and they say "whoa that's too deep" or whatever..... poetry is the deepest (for want of a better word) form of communication; it is the most fundamental manipulation of our language and words, not in recognised grammatical style, but used at the most basic level and mere tools of conveying pure emotion. The problem with our language (and the pretentious crap used by intellectuals) is that it has become so complex as to become a complete facade, words upon words layered in order to say one thing. This is why the simplest poetry is the best; it is the most basic portrayal of the most basic emotions of humanity, and it touches something raw deep inside us. Poetry constitutes the removal of this facade, the obliteration of all unnecessary words.

: ORIGINIALITY CONSISTS OF RETURNING TO THE ORIGIN
: Antonio Gaudi

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism