a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: brace yourselves for another stupid question..

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Ahmed Zeerak on Tuesday, January 21, 2003 at 23:58:02 :

In Reply to: brace yourselves for another stupid question.. posted by glass on Sunday, January 19, 2003 at 05:48:45 :

One does not change his life as a result of coming in contact with existentialism. The only thing that changes after one gains the awareness of the absurd, or experiences the nothingness, is the attitude. In Camus's L'etranger, Mersault's life before and after his trial, i.e before he was awakened and forced to self reflection and afterwards and his way of acting and his indifference to the world did not change drastically. The only thing different was that after he became aware of the absurdity of life, and after he experienced nothingness, he looked at his life from a different perspective; he cherished each and every expereince; those stored in memory, and those coming, even the looming prospect of his death. The last paragraph of the book: "For everything to consummate, for me to feel less lonely, I wish that on the day of my execution I am faced with a large crowd of spectators who greet me with their cries of hatred."

The way one lives does not necessarily have to be changed because of/for existentialism. Only the experience changes one's outlook to one's life. One takes pleasure in living, and living every moment of his life. In cherishing every texture of the experience of living -though in essence absurd- one finds meaning.

Sisyphus's struggle is absurd. But the awareness does not make him change it in any way. It does not even happen to him to want to change his life. It only makes him stronger and more rebellious. He finds meaning in the struggle itself. "The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy."

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism