a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: for the sake of..everything..attn spratley, joe..

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by davidfrancis on Saturday, January 04, 2003 at 14:03:23 :

In Reply to: for the sake of..everything..attn spratley, joe.. posted by Indira on Monday, December 16, 2002 at 21:48:19 :

: hi,
: I've been following this joe vs spratley thing for some time. My first thought, was to address spratley in an email, and joe on the board, but both of you have decided to make your opinions on each other public, so this post had to be public too not to contradict your will.
: This is my description of your attitude, and how I feel about it as an outsider:

: most people here don't care about joe. Not because he's mistaken, or because what he says is complete nonsense, but due to his agressive behavior, that most people find disgusting, and anti social. probably, what's wrong about most people's reaction, is that because they don't like joe's attitude, they refuse to see any possibility of truth in what he's saying. I'm no one to judge both reactions, after all, we're free to emotionally react to something, and alogically respond to it.
: on the other hand, spratley decided to chase after him, to see if he can dismantle joe's attitude into some ice melting happy end. I'm almost sure, that won't happen.
: It doesn't necessarily HAVE to happen.
: as I said before, we're all free to say and do whatever we please, and to expect from people whatever we feel it's good/correct/whatever, and do something to get it.
: what I completely dislike, is the result.
: I call this result, irrelevance.
: it happens every time, on a very clear secuence:
: 1.someone posts
: 2.someone answers
: 3.joe answers something like "idiot"
: 4.spratley responds to joe's posts with "no, he's not an idiot, you are the idiot here"
: 5.joe answers back with "double idiot"
: 6.and we all move on to another post, with the same development.

: result:
: IRRELEVANCE
: everything the first poster said, good or bad, becomes irrelevant, not because of the content, but because it turned to be a reason for two people who won't get along together, to use it as a battle field where they can express their frustrations.
: both of you could have started a thread, with
: 1.idiot
: 2. Re:idiot
: 3.four times idiot
: 4.ten times idiot
: 5.ad infinitum

: as a healthier alternative to using someone's posts to make the show.

: it would have also been a sick thing to do, but at least, it would have shown a little respect for other people's posts.

: that doesn't mean everybody's posts are great, right, interesting, etc.
: it means that this has always been a FREE place, done for FREE without RULES, or LICENSE AGREEMENT, done to give people a place where they can speak freely, and meet other people who also speek freely, about, as it used to be at the beginning, philosophy.
: Some years ago, I saw someone posting 60 lines subjects.
: I once decided to read one of those, and found out that he was complaining that people here were not serious enough.
: he was even defending me from those people, etc. etc.
: his subjects made the board weight 300K in four minutes. did he made his point?
: of course he didn't-
: did everybody else got pissed of?
: yes, they also felt good about not being so damn wrong..were they right?
: some of them were, some of them were using this place to piss people off, and as an entertaining space where one could swear for free.
: well, fuck off.
: joe, I'm sorry you don't feel right about this place. I know many posts are useless, many of them are stupid, many of them are not serious.
: I know this, and I can assure you, it takes a lot of time and effort to make a place what you expect it to be, and it doesn't always turn right.
: I also apologize for my english myself, as I have done about..20.000 times before.
: But I think there are other ways to address people, and also, you have to give something back in exchange for your insults. a good reasoning would be a start. don't take this as an offensive attack, because it's not intended to be so. I only think that destruction ain't always necessary, and when you destroy, you have to be strong enough to support yourself, and not take a step aside, as I've seen you in some of your posts.
: If you think something said is useless, you can just avoid it, and move on. is it about being correct? no, I would not ask someone to be something I'm not. It's more about being coherent with what you're saying and proposing in every post of yours.
: I don't doubt your happiness, because I dont really care about it.
: whether you're happy or not, it ain't my bussiness, and doesn't give or take from you credibility or accuracy.

: spratley, on the other hand, I believe your efforts are vain. joe, or some other people we've seen doing this thing, won't change their behavior, or give you any explanation about it. first of all, you cannot ask anyone to act the way you want them to act, second, you cannot ask anyone to explain their motivations to you.
: but besides this humble judgment, what I disagree with, is the need that you show to chase people like joe, or in other board d. to get some positive result. this leads, always, to mutual agression and resentment.
: but worse than that, it leads to a lot of people wasting time and connection time, following something that in the end, drives them away from the place.
: You're are also driving towards irrelevance, other people's posts, followin joe's mind into a disgusting and useless rant of nonsenses.
: I don't blame you for joe's agression.
: but you're responsible for making his agressions longer and tiring, to the point of ten vicious circle posts in which you ask why, and he says stupid, why, supid, why, stupid.
: I do respect your effort to keep people like this away from places like here, or others, but I think it's pretty obvious that we are all fed up of this chains of bullshit, where one is looking for a reason of a behavior that MIGHT have a starting point and a cause, but that we will never know about, or it is too private and personal to be said here, or maybe it's not what we all care about.
: I don't care about joe's happiness or bitter life, and I would bet on this being a game to see who bites and who doesn't.
: I don't like agressions, for free, and to everyone, but answering those agressions, no matter how much effort you take, it a usesess waste of time and bandwidth.
: so please, there are good and bad posts, and there is the chance to write and speak and be heard, and respected.
: some years ago, when I was young, internet did not exist, and that possibility was not at hand for anyone. so, now, that there are millions of places where people will kindly read your stuff, the fact that there is ONE or TWO people who might kick your ass because of what you say, talks more about freedom and accesibility, than about profound social wounds that might never get healed. it's more like, you write here, and you cannot pretend to be treated with respect all the time.
: else, I would have to moderate, or have someone moderate this place, and I'm totally against any sort of control on posts and people's sayings.
: my sever is outside of your country's borders, outside of USA regulations, and it is almost anarchy.
: so please, part of anarchy, is violence, and part is indifference.
: both of you.
: please.
: thanks
: Indira

Of course a step backwards might afford one a discussion of antagonism in general, for it seems perchance they are merely acting out another of the myriad things which inhabit the mind

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism