a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: Re fear?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by TylerDurden on Friday, January 03, 2003 at 19:13:03 :

In Reply to: Re: Re fear? posted by Moth on Thursday, January 02, 2003 at 16:25:56 :

To paraphrase a mid-90s movie (in re: to technology and humanity)..."Are you happier? Are we happier? Is our would fundamentally a better place? Don't get me wrong -- we're smart. We shop at home, we surf the net. We take deficit-financed trips to the mall to buy all these things that we think will fill that big empty hole in us...and all the while we feel emptier and lonelier and more cut off from each other than at any other time in human history..."

Ironically, I find the biggest (most widely dispersed?) opposition to technology IN ITS CURRENT INCARNATION in film - a medium that owes its existence to the very technology it so often decries.

Technology is dictated by commercial viability. In a perfect world, what technological innovation would make YOU (you being anyone reading this) happier?

(*also, Moth - don't knock surfdom; didn't most of those cats end up in the sack with the king's son/daugher ((with the requisite ELO soundtrack playing in the background), later to overthrow the evil system and set up their own little benevolent dictatorial fiefdom?)

: I'm by no means Kholmenian, but I agree that happiness is not achieved through technology. Human history is by no means a 'progression'... there are certain historical patterns but I, personally, am no more happy then a medeival serf.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism