a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

the greatest wisdoms don't conflict

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Eatmore Biscuits on Monday, December 23, 2002 at 21:39:48 :

In Reply to: Re: what if I was muslim or something???! posted by Spratley on Monday, December 23, 2002 at 18:49:25 :

: : or budist or taoist or jewish or atheist...
: -------------
: Well, thge Simpson's covered the Buddhists last night --Buddhists can enjoy any celebration. As llong as they realize it isn't real, that is.

: But, to beat your joke with an over-literal stick, it matters not if the people ELDRAS is addressing ar Christmas. If Christmas is his holiday, and it makes him feel joyous and warm and personable, then it is the spirit of that joy and warmththat he is invoking. He's not ordering people to have a merry Christmas. Plus, ever culture --save maybe the hot climate Muslims-- have a winter festival/holiday. Christmas has as much to do with Christianity these days as a hand gun has to do with peace-keeping. I heard recently that the Chinese are way into Christmas --decking every hall they can find. Christmas is a transcendant holiday in my book.

: : what do these people do during christmas??
: Eat Chinese food. Go to movies. It may be generalizing, but I don think its stereotyping --A large number of Jews make a tradition out of Chinese and a movie on Christmas.
: --------------

: : And up to what extent are these kind of festivities still meaningfull in such a materialistic, de facto, society???

: Grinch! :)

: : It seems that these institutions -plus more others- are losing all their content and they are followed just by a traditional impulse, just formally...

: Somewhat true. And then again, I went to a CHristmas party this weekend where all kinds of friends --new and old-- gathered together and made some serious merriment. We did a Secret Santa sort of thing, had someone dressed as Santa. I sat on the floor in front of Santa and all the gift-getters sitting on his lap and beamed and laughed and cheered as everyone sat down and opened their present. There was eggnog and cookies and a fire in the fireplace. I felt like I had Christmas coming out my ears! It was a genuine feeling, not at all automatic or formal or forced.

: Christmas is just a party. . . its enjoyed better when it is undertaken as such, I think.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism