a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Nature is a tenuous authority.

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Joe on Saturday, December 21, 2002 at 01:05:11 :

In Reply to: My personal view posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 11:30:35 :

Do you really believe your post, Spratley? I mean that very honestly. Your post sounds like survival of the fittest, even though I know you didn't intend it. Answering to Nature strikes me as nothing more than surviving and reproducing. Nature, if that is really all there is, has never asked anything more than that from any organism. Have you read Pinker's "Blank Slate"? You may like it a lot, even though I doubt you'll agree with his premise, but to grossly simply his thesis, an organism's genes contain information designed solely to survive and reproduce. The fact that we can use these tools to do otherwise is fortuitous.

If you've ever watched Bogart and Hepburn in "The African Queen", you may recall the quote: "Nature, Mr. ___, is exactly what we are put on this earth to rise above." Maybe you find solace and morality by referencing Nature or a superorganism, but I think appeals to Nature alone, if pursued honestly, leads to a very nasty life. You were the one who quoted Hobbes earlier. If life is to have meaning, it is in spite of Nature, not by appealing to it.

I realize your post was consistent with some of this, but the overall gist struck me as far more humane than Life/Nature would care about.

Joe

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism