a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

To whom are you trying to justify your existence anyway?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Joe on Friday, December 20, 2002 at 00:58:55 :

In Reply to: Do we need to justify our existence? posted by trablano on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 02:59:04 :

Especially without religion. (Damn you thecry posters anyway.)

My view is that in the absence of religion, no one else really cares enough about your existence except you. I'm not saying that people don't love you, but even the person in the world that loves you the most likely doesn't think about you 1/10 as much as you think about your own needs. Life has meaning only if you believe so in your own head. That is not anti-social. Often, relationships with others are the primary reason your own head finds life fulfilling, but it is still self-centered and healthily so. Creating, like having children, gives the appearance of immortality but you're only delaying being forgotten by a few generations.

I think this is rather invigorating, really. Writers are easily more depressed as a whole than the public at large, as are philosophers and other creative types who are really dependent on the opinions of their audience for self-justification.

Must run. This is admittedly undeveloped (but I did respond treblano).

Joe

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism