a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

what about individuality itself?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by trablano on Thursday, December 19, 2002 at 03:56:39 :

In Reply to: Re: so justification comes by being conducive to something greater? nt posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 19:13:31 :

In older times people were often thinking about the value of principles and virtues. Do these values have the necessary meaning, and values like honor and dignity?

: I'm sure there are other functional ways to think about it. But at the moment I like this way. Every example of justification I can think of has as a common element the fitting into something larger.

: Johnny gets arrested for murder. What the killing justified? Well, the guy he killed ws raping a young woman. Johnny was honoring the dignity and rights of a fellow humans. . . something alrger than the situation itself. And in that light something horrible --the taking of a person's life-- suddenlty takes on a new meaning which is not horrible. . . it is justified.

: That is the excuse the Inquisition used --this is God's will. That is the excuse that nations use to justify their heinous acts --I am protecting freedom. That is why it is okay for a fox to kill a rabbit --it serves Life today.

: Yeah. I won't etch it in stone, but I like thinking of "justification" this way --the service or respect of something larger than the individual nad the individual's acts.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism