a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

so justification comes by being conducive to something greater? nt

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by trablano on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 12:46:30 :

In Reply to: My personal view posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 18, 2002 at 11:30:35 :

: I don't think we have to justify our lives, but I think our lives have to be justifiable in some sense. An individual may feel he or she has to justify themselves. A society may feel they need to justify themselves. But I don't see anyone we have to justify ourselves too per se, so I don't think its a necessary activity.

: However, we do have to answer to some powers. Call them the Natural Laws. I'm not talking about gravity necessarily. More like this: We are part of something greater than ourselves. Whenever we find ourselves part of soething greater than ourselves, we must answer to that. When we work for corporations we must answer to that corporation --why did you lose $100,000 dollars? Where did all those office supplies go? It may be ridiculous, the idea of a corporation, but when you're in one you don't have a choice, you must answer to it.

: Each and every human belongs to the global superorganism of life. Don't think so? Try surviving without using one thing from this planet. And so we must answer to this superorganism, which we can call Life. A corporation's driving motivation is to provide goods or a service, and to make money. These are the laws which one must justify their actions according to. The driving motivation of Life is simple --to live. Life is that which actively tries to persist. A rock doesn't try to keep from eroding. Ice doesn't try to keep from melting. But Life tries to keep from dying.

: I guess you could say we need to justify oursleves to Life. We need to prove that the life we live is 1.) Conducive to our own continued life. 2.) Conducive to the continued life of the larger system. The person who shoots heroin is not living a justifiable life because their behavior is contrary to the purpose of their life. The people who strip forests bare are not living justifiable lives --in the eyes of Life-- because their behavior makes it more dificult for Life to maintain the stasis that makes itself possible.

: So while someone does not need to actively list out the justifications of their own existence, they must still meet certain criteria in order for their life to have anything but destructive meaning.
:

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism