a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Heard

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Tuesday, December 17, 2002 at 15:08:36 :

In Reply to: for the sake of..everything..attn spratley, joe.. posted by Indira on Monday, December 16, 2002 at 21:48:19 :

I was more inclined to swallow your observation and advice before I read the rest of the responses that followed --I think you ought to have taken your advice and let the matter rest with the first address. But the responses illustrated your point well too --you sort of got sucked into an irrelevant debate yourself.

Anyway, I'll start withthe disagreement and end with the agreement and assent.

People should indeed be free here. I have always considered the sort of disrespect and nastiness we're talking about to be inhibitors of freedom. I beleive that Anitah is more reactionary and intense than I am, but I agree with her estimation of anarchy. If we lived in an anarchy -- a state of freedom without extrnally enforces, proscriptive laws-- and the harm someone like Joe did were substantial nad significant, he'd wind up on the river bank with his throat slit. Unfortunately I can't get my hands on anyone over the internet. No one can. All we can do is stick up for decency.

And I will never beleive that it is not a good idea to stand up for something I beleive is a good thing.

However, I do see how disruptive and unproductive it can be. The only positive result that could come from something like this is if everyone stood up for the same thing, and everyone determined to act unilaterally against it, or if the person with the power --you-- who can reach their hands out and get them around the neck of the deliterious thing. . .

But you've made your wishes known and I will do my best to respect them.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism