a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: You're an idiot.

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Friday, December 13, 2002 at 11:09:51 :

In Reply to: You're an idiot. posted by Joe on Friday, December 13, 2002 at 00:18:46 :

: You obviously don't believe that the opposite of your conception of truth is also truth or you would immediately adopt any caustic rebuttal of your post that I offer. Your whole post contradicts itself, Spratley, and these pathetic attempts to sound open-minded by not "bottling" the truth, blah, blah, blah only reflects a failure to think. When one doesn't think, one can truly believe opposites are all truth and not be bottled at all. There is no thought on this site, just vague appeals to meaningless abstractions, followed by whiny complaints when someone actually wants to know what the poster is trying to say. Grammar is not the measure of a man, but it is an excellent indicator of the quality of thought behind the words being spoken. Poor thinkers have always retreated behind ill-phrased, unclear statements, hoping their readers will do their thinking for them.

: And no, the fact that I understand something doesn't cause me to think it's trite. If I didn't understand extremely insightful statements, I wouldn't know them to be insightful. I hear trite things all the time, but when they are presented as if they are deep, my reaction is as I've expressed it here. You can whine and console youself that my opinion of many of the posts here must be pyschologically based if you wish, but you are wrong. I have read many profound things, many thought-provoking things, and your posts and most of the posts here are rambling impressions passing as expanded insight.

: Joe

: P.S. I'm quite happy, and I expect you to immediately agree. Otherwise, you are bottling your conception of the truth about my state of mind.
---------------------------------------------
Opposites: I did say that my objection to you is not so much the ideas you hold or how they compare to other's ideas, but the way you present those ideas and how you respond to other's ideas. I would gladly consider what you have to say if it wasn't caustic.

Maybe a blanket statement about opposites being as true as one another was not as exactly stated as I meant it to be. I have also talked recently about how each idea, when being evaluated, has to be subjected to the question: does it work? In physics this is easy. . . Does the physical principle match reality; do things really accelerate on earth at 9.8 m/s/s? So when I'm thinking about people's ideas and how they're presented, I ask, what are the results of the comunication? Do they serideas or do they hinder them? Do they foster communication or not? So I never get past the presentation of your idea because they immidiately hit me in the face as "not working."

"Your whole post contradicts itself, Spratley, and these pathetic attempts to sound open-minded by not "bottling" the truth, blah, blah, blah only reflects a failure to think. . . just vague appeals to meaningless abstractions, followed by whiny complaints when someone actually wants to know what the poster is trying to say."

Well, I haven't seen anything from you that suggests that you want to know what someone thinks. How can someone learn what another thinks when their first response is "what you think is idiotic?" I think you just have a hang-up with contradictions. I have though. . . way too much about all this. And I eventually got to a point where I understood that the kind of thoughts you represent don't help things and don't hold any kind of monopoly on truth. Different opinions, you and I have. But for some reason I am willing to think about yours, but you are unwilling to even grant that I have a mind worthy of thought. Again it just comes back to rudeness. . . why such a shitty attitude, man?

P.S. I recognize how you may feel happy from time to time. I recognize how you can bleeive you are happy --I can see how that idea has worth. But in my own mind I am left with doubts --you just don't present yourself as a happy person; all signs point to unhappy as far as I can see. And it is telling that you won't stop to consider how I manage to arrive at that conclusion.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism