a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Are you trying to say "you're welcome"?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Joe on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 23:40:39 :

In Reply to: Re: What? posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 12:07:40 :

"your" is possessive.

Actually, Spratley, you have me all wrong. I've come to find you to be a wierdly naive guy, but since you are so intent, I'll be frank with you. First, you can take me exactly at my word. I genuinely believe philosophical discussions in general and those at this site in particular are 1) trite, and 2) useless. I have no problem with people who simply can't enunciate sophisticated arguments, but I have a real problem with trite things said under the guise of insight. In fact, I find slightly educated people impressed by "ideas" and "concepts" to be the biggest threat to the modern world. Invariably their weak intellects, armed with a few philosophical quotes and an adamant conviction that they see farther than those who do not waste their times with such things, cause them to embrace obnoxious ideologies and generally whine and cry about the ignorance of the masses - a generalization I know, but one that is quite accurate.

The idea that we all possess unique experiences and therefore cannot rely entirely on general principles to guide our lives is rather obvious. Nobody relies entirely on general principles. That is what makes them general. You rely on your mind's ability to think to determine the extent to which a general principle is useful and the extent to which it is not. Most people in Peoria have known and never questioned that in their lives. Only a philosopher would stumble upon such a point indirectly and then conclude that they had discovered a conceptual treasure. You want to understand me? Try to understand what would cause a presumably intelligent person to be fascinated by this insight. Idly speculating about the meaning and nature of the universe is like dissecting an electric, neon advertising sign. The more you analyze the circuitry and wires in the sign, the further you are from being able to actually read the sign. My advice, albeit snide, is that this whole enterprise is worse than a waste of time. It encourages a mindest that makes enjoyment of life much more difficult.

Joe

PS I don't hurt at all. I'm happy, wealthy and married to a hot babe. I'm just trying to spread my secret to happiness.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism