a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: zeitgeist

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by blimp on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 23:20:24 :

In Reply to: Re: zeitgeist posted by Spratley on Tuesday, December 10, 2002 at 11:58:31 :

: : Most of the stuff you mention here is external, political, and while what is happening in the world politically does feed into our emotional states, I think the point originally made in this thread points to an existential lack - we have no philosophical basis for dealing with all this external shit! That's why all forms of resistance resemble that which they purport to resist - philosophically they are the same! The point was made that there seems to be no "ouside". There hasn't been for some time... and this goes way beyond wars, terrorism and environmentalism (maybe these struggles are manifestations of this very implosion).

: : Maybe this is the zeitgeist: a world wihtout an "ouside", a space for definition and resistance?
: --------------------------------------------
: This brought a smile to my face because what you characterize as stating something that Ifailed to state, or something that disagrees with what I said, I beleive is in agreement --the same-- as what I said. Political events surely do reflect wht is going on in hte minds of the people who participate in and witness these events.

: What I was trying to communicate is that the events reflect a tiredness, a played-out-ness of the dominant worldvies (read: synonymous with zeitgeist). For 10,000 years or more we have lived under a particular worldview, and our world has begun to suffer from it --too much war, too much population growth, too much famine, too much exploitation of resources. Some people go along happily with this worldview --the one of expansion, growth, advancement, homogenization--and think nothing is wrong. Some people see something wrong but don;t know how to identify it. Some peopel know exactly what's wrong but try to fix it from within that dominant worldview. Some peopleknow what's wrong and know thattheanswer is an entirely different worldview. Some people respond by just dropping into apathy --having no worldview at all.

: So what tipifies our age is this lack of direction. . . our zeitgeist is cancerous, but is bee-bopping through its death-throes. The people of the world don't know what to think. Its like a radio signal with static, a pond where a hand full of stones has been trhown in and the interference patterns are random.

: In your words (tweaked), the way we have dealt with the external sh!t for millenia doesn't work any more, and the world is at different stages of figuring this out, which leads to a lack of coherence.

More colourfully put than my observations, but, yes - essentially we seem to be in agreement

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism