a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: What?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 12:07:40 :

In Reply to: What? posted by Joe on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 00:35:28 :

: I'm going to need the all-wise Spratley's help on this. What the hell does this mean?:

: "i see us each having such a unique collective experience...that it is hard for me to understand how we can settle on a common plane in self understanding. "
---------------------------------------------
I know that when I do explain it to you, you won't feel thankful or gain anything fromthe understanding. But I'm going to do it anyway.

You grew up in a family. You grew up in a country. You grew up in a culture. You grew up in an historical period. Each of these groups you belong to represent commonalities. You will always have your family name because that's wht it means to belong to that family.

Shane was saying that each individual has such a unique collection of experiences --despitre any threads of commonality that run through them-- that he (she?) does not see how everyone --all humans-- could possibly come to one single conclusion about how to understand ourselves and apply that to the way we live in the world.

I think this insight of Shane's comes from the fact that the culture we live in is implicitly absolutist and homogeneous. The culture we live in strives top find the one right answer. Shane is wondering if that one right answer is even possible to come by.

Your welcome.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism