a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: silence

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by shane on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 05:57:18 :

In Reply to: silence posted by INSpECT on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 01:09:19 :

i dont think i have your answer...but ill give you my thoughts on the subject....

i wonder if the desire to speak (communicate) is more of a biological disposition that philosophy is retro-fitted to...if it all comes down to species survival. ..reproduction, sustenance(sp?), evolution, signficance, community (strength in numbers)..and for reasons such as why babies cry (to develop their lungs) to be nurtured.to get what they need. speaking facilitates survival. in an agricultural society the more convincing a person is ..the more useful they apear to be..the more their survival is guaranteed..
it also seems we have an instinct for refinement of our approach.asking ourselves and others ,in one way or another , "how is pain more avoidable...and how is pleasure more attainable?"

your final question is a difficult one. again, i dont know the answer..nihilism seems to be a catch 22...a sort of anti-movement movement. denial seems to insinuate virtue in this case. ..but i cant really see it in any other way..."hypocrite", may not be in their vocabulary..if they have a vocabulary ....which in itself would be a contradiction...

interesting questions you have...
shane

: Truth plays a central role in philosophy. The absolute, as a reference point, defines the path a philosopher chooses in his writings. There are, however, philosophers that deny the existence of absolutes. (Nietzsche for example)
: My question is:
: Why, if we do not have access to truth, are we endowed with the desire to speak? For is this desire not defined by a need to bestow ones beliefs unto the thoughts of others, and thus claiming the presented idea to be more truthfull? Furthermore, if nihilism is a legitimate doctrine in preventing moral conflict by means of eliminating epistomological differences through the denial of "the absolute", then are its propagators then not hypocrites?

:
: (Pythagoreans spent at least 5 years of their life in utter silence)
: hope this makes more sense and I would love a response on this question!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism