a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: silence

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by trablano on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 04:28:26 :

In Reply to: silence posted by INSpECT on Wednesday, December 11, 2002 at 01:09:19 :

Truth is an agreement about validity. Even such things as 1+1=2 depend on the agreement about it. It's just self-understanding, depending on mathematic logic, but after all an agreement, an agreement to a functional system.

When I desire to speak about ideas I desire to put truth to a test amongst humans. I want to see if what I see as truth is acceptable. I want to proof to myself whether I'm true or not by opening my ideas to judgement.

The proposal "true" is an invitation to argument, hopefully an argument that doesn't proof truth by disproofing the negative but also by proofing a positive, a testing if something is true, or, in other terms, viable, and if so, under which conditions.

In some way I suppose that a pride on truth is wrong, since I consider truth to be always relative. When Einstein said "I know that I know nothing" he didn't mean to say that he didn't know anymore if his theories were true but that he saw how relative it all is. How dependant on his own (brilliant) mindset. I think that spending the whole time in silence because of feeling like knowing nothing is wrong. Humans need their output tested, sometimes even in their rubbish there are pearls.

: Truth plays a central role in philosophy. The absolute, as a reference point, defines the path a philosopher chooses in his writings. There are, however, philosophers that deny the existence of absolutes. (Nietzsche for example)
: My question is:
: Why, if we do not have access to truth, are we endowed with the desire to speak? For is this desire not defined by a need to bestow ones beliefs unto the thoughts of others, and thus claiming the presented idea to be more truthfull? Furthermore, if nihilism is a legitimate doctrine in preventing moral conflict by means of eliminating epistomological differences through the denial of "the absolute", then are its propagators then not hypocrites?

:
: (Pythagoreans spent at least 5 years of their life in utter silence)
: hope this makes more sense and I would love a response on this question!!!

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism