a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

First bit of progress

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Monday, December 09, 2002 at 13:32:44 :

In Reply to: To Wordsmith and Spratley, the Laurel and Hardy of internet posting. posted by Joe on Saturday, December 07, 2002 at 21:34:45 :

: After reading Spratley’s poignant insights into my personality, I’ve engaged in some serious soul-searching, trying to determine the source of the bitterness that I so unjustly project onto the brilliant philosophical minds here at thecry. There are a lot of possible explanations. When I was a young, strapping lad in Naples, Italy, I used to follow my mom into the local market where she would throw rocks at the philosophers delivering speeches in the nearby park. I never forgot the expression of joy on her face when she caused a pompous windbag to cut short some blathering message about the “nature of the universe”. Sadly, my mother later died at the hands of a jealous, peripatetic Augustinian.

: Perhaps my bitterness came later in life. I’m as serious as a head-on collision between two helicopters when I say that in college, I used to enjoy strolling merrily down the nearby beach. One day, as I happily pondered the joie de vivre while gazing at the ocean, a group of tough, black-clad philosophy majors approached and demanded my wallet. Although I temporarily held them off by convincing them that wallets as such are mere ideas without substance, they eventually wised up and made off with all the money I had saved to buy an engagement ring for the wonderful woman whom I loved with all my heart. She never spoke to me again. I identified one of my assailants but he was acquitted on a technicality. I later learned that he was arrested not long afterward for attacking a young co-ed from behind and demanding some “ol-time religion.”

: All I know is here I am, one lone, courageous voice speaking out against the blathering idiocy that has come to dominate the internet.

: Joe
---------------------------------------------
Okay. Given Joe's first response, I draw this preliminary conclusion: Joe is unwilling to examine or talk about himself (which makes some sense of his proclivity for talking about others --mostly their lack of value). This doesn't help me much; this I already knew about chronic criticizers --they will go to great lengths to skirt, avoid and denounce any attempt to talk about them. Its the "why" I can't seem to get at.

Especially disappointing is the fact that Joe agreed to do this, and is now obviously backing out. Oh, except that he didn't exactly agree to do this. He agreed to do this, under the condition that I examine why so many people here post idiotic drivel. Which was really just a way to restate his opinion that we post idiotic drivel. Which is the same message he sent in the above post.

Okay, so we have some consistency at least --he uses sarcasm, and he responds to all questions about himself by devaluing those who are asking the questions. The questions can't have merit if the people asking them are valueless, huh, Joe? And if they have no merit, then there's no need for you to give them any attention. Now, if the value of these question askers is not as cut-and-dry as you say, then we might view your tactics as an attempt to avoid asking yourself the questions we are asking you. So, new question, why do you wish to avoid giving attention to these questions? What is it about the answers that you wish to supress from your own consciousness?

And Joe, regarding, "All I know is here I am, one lone, courageous voice speaking out against the blathering idiocy that has come to dominate the internet." I don't ask you to know why you behave the way you do, so no need to plead limited knowledge. I have proposed that we undertake this examination so that we may come to know. So buck up litle camper and hang in there.

I await the answr to my most recent question with baited breath.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism