a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: To quote Dennis Miller

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Wordsmith on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 17:44:55 :

In Reply to: To quote Dennis Miller posted by Joe on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 00:24:04 :

: Who finds religion on prom night? Who speculates about deities while being straddled by a super-model. I know I don't. The rest of you here will just have to imagine.

I found it on prom night, Joe. I was on top of this chick, see, and I was yelling "Oh, God! Oh, God! Oh, God!" Gimme dat ol' time
religion...it's good enough for me!! *LOL*

: Suffice it to say that it's not a coincidence that the major religions of the world arose in an area subjected to constant warfare and hardship. Those absolutes seem awfully interesting when the here and now sucks.

So you're presuming that, if there'd been no poverty and hardship in the beginning, then
there would have been no religion? Where's
the proof of that?

: Philosophy is what one turns to when they just aren't happy about the way things are. Not so hard to understand really. When your life sucks, you wonder about what else is out there. When your life is going great, you don't.

Philosophy = therapy for introverts?

: Raise the subject of Wittgenstein at a keg party some time (assuming anyone here gets invited to such things) and see if a crowd gathers round. Anyone else notice the decline of religion as material progress has improved? Anyone else notice the vigor of religion in poor baptist churches and the apathy/non-attendance in Beverly Hills?

This isn't exactly news, Joe. *yawn*

: Go watch "The Blue Angel" and stop pondering things we aren't hard-wired to understand. Have a beer, be glad you escaped the philosophical trap and thank me in your will.

Who are you to presume what we're, as you put it, "hard-wired to understand"? Have you no faith in epistemology? Are you that
limited? Take thy presumptions hence!

Wordsmith : )

: Joe

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL: