a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: Paradox and meaning

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by km on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 15:49:01 :

In Reply to: Re: Absolutes posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 at 19:06:17 :

I'm not sure that this paradox of claiming that there are no absolutes itself implies at least one absolute is a particularly "profound" problem in itself.

Such "paradoxes" I often suspect reflect not something about the world, or even about our capacities for theorizing about the world, but rather something about the structure of our language (which in turn might say something about our capacity for theorizing, i.e. thought).

After all, it's natural language that gave us such treats as the Liar Paradox (All Cretans are liars...).

What I am saying is that the "paradox" is analytical in nature, and by this i mean that it concerns the meanings of the terms involved. Certain paradoxes might be paths to "profound truth", but I'm not sure that this is one of them, beyond the lesson that it teaches us about the structure and possibilities within our language and way of speaking.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism