a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: Dear Wordsmith

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Wordsmith on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 03:48:09 :

In Reply to: Dear Wordsmith posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 at 19:23:54 :

: : You haven't looked long enough yet. Keep searching. One must dig through much dross
: : before extracting even a little gold. (A paraphrase of a saying of Heraclitus.)
: --------------------------------------------
: Is 2100 years enough dross?

Probably not. Let's go a few more thou.
(Har! Har!)

: Diotima
: Hildegaard von Bingen
: Simone DeBeauvoir
: Ayn Rand

You forgot Susanne Langer. I loved her book on music.

: I know there are others, but let's stick with the big chunks of dross for a while.

: Thales
: Empedocles
: Anaxagoras
: Socrates
: Plato
: Aristotle
: Aurelias
: Augustine
: Aquinas
: Anselm
: Descartes
: Spinoza
: ...
: Schopenour
: Kierkegaard
: Nietzsche
: ...
: Satre
: Camus
: Wittgenstein

: Has the point been made yet? Sure we found some nuggets in the dross. But if there is no gender-based difference relating to philosophical inclination, the we ought to have found something nearly equal. The gold/dross analogy works when searching all of humanity for philosophers. BUt when woprking with the sebset of all philosophers, we shouldn't have to sift the dross for the gold. . . if we do have to then that suggests something rare about the women who do philosophize.

All thinkers, women or not, who have something of value to contribute, are in fact those fragments of gold worth saving.

Erfan was not suggesting something chauvanistic in his question.

I realize that.

He was merely asking if tehre is something different about women that does not lend itself to philosophizing in the Western philosophical way.

So are women more Eastern in proclivity?

I think its obvious that there are far fewer women philosopher that have survived the ravages of history to be known to us. Far fewer than the men. I think its a pretty decent induction to say there is something in the gender that does not accommodate itself to philosophical distinction.

What might that be? I'm afraid to speculate
for fear of being dubbed a sexist!

: A lack of need to be recognized, ego, pride? Maybe. Circular thinking vs. Linear thinking? Maybe --western philosophy is an arrow --straight shaft leading to a final sharp point expected to do away with opposition.

"Without opposition there is no progression."
--Heraclitus

Wordsmith : )

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL: