a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: Organism:

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Joe on Thursday, December 05, 2002 at 00:06:49 :

In Reply to: Organism: posted by Spratley on Wednesday, December 04, 2002 at 19:33:31 :

First, under your definition of "organism", I fail to see how the universe is an organism. In fact, it strikes me as anything but.

Second, even if under some stretched definition of organism the universe counted, who cares? Eldras' question sucked because he wanted the connotations of "lions and tigers and bears" - thus the purported depth of the question - while not really arguing this point, a point that no one could argue. This liguistic bait and switch has caused absolute zeros like most existentialists and post-modernists to be read despite having exactly nothing useful to say.

Third, grammar is quite useful in making a sophisticated point. I bitch about grammar at this site because 1) the lack of it invariably reflects a sloppy mind that hides behind a lack of clarity. Whatever one says about the point being made, the writer can always claim that "that's not what I meant" much like your late attempt to save Eldras. I have yet to meet a well-honed mind that expressed itself the way the pseudo-intellectuals at this site do. Test yourself, Spratley. Limit your vocabulary to a few words and have them bounce around in your mind ungrammatically. How sophisticated are the thoughts you are able to think? Don't kid yourself that the two subjects are distinct? I assume the people who post here are trying to make their point as best they can.

2) many people who post at this site are genuinely incomprehensible, and I haven't a clue what they're trying to say.

Joe

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism