a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: What are the arguments for suicide?

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by PJ on Saturday, November 30, 2002 at 00:24:04 :

In Reply to: What are the arguements for suicide? posted by ELDRAS on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 at 22:59:32 :

: >
Albert Camus wrote a treatise on suicide entitled The Myth of Sisyphus that I recommend. He presents a few arguments but ultimately realizes that man can triumph over the absurd. Also, Nietzsche was a philosopher of living. He praises laughter and overcoming, not suicide. Goethe’s “recommendation for suicide,” The Sorrows of Young Werther, is a piece of fiction written in his youth. Goethe himself lived a tremendously full and long life, 83 years, I believe. I recommend his Faust (both parts) as his greatest accomplishment. The biography I read did not mention his keeping a dagger under his pillow; this does not mean it isn’t true, but would be very out of character based on my knowledge of Goethe, gleaned through reading his major works, Conversations With Eckermann, and Lewis’s biography. And I must add that Goethe was by no means a “pessimistic philosopher.”

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism