a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: goethe was great

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by ryan on Wednesday, November 27, 2002 at 02:19:56 :

In Reply to: Re: goethe was great posted by Ravi Mehta on Sunday, November 24, 2002 at 05:15:15 :

: What were Schopenhauer's views on suicide? Would Nietzsche and him advocate assisted suicide, like the state of Oregon now allows for terminally ill patients?

In <i>The World As Will and Representation</i> Schopenhauer comes to the conclusion that if anyone could truly see what life really is (his idea of the universal will) they would realize it entails so much suffering that suicide was the only option. Did Schopenhauer claim to understand this "universal will"? Yep. Did he kill himself? Nope, he spent most of his time drinking, partying, and getting laid. (Oh and he despised women).<br>
As for assisted suicide, I don't think either would directly assisted suicide, although I don't think they would really be against it all that much. In <i>Thus Spoke Zarathustra</i> Nietzsche discusses the importance of "dying at the right time," claiming that one must not outlive his work (or "purpose") of life, but must also not die too soon. It appears, then, that assisted suicide, or even unassisted suicide would present a feasable solution to this.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism