a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: newbie with a question..

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 19:09:54 :

In Reply to: newbie with a question.. posted by glass on Friday, November 22, 2002 at 11:01:16 :

: hi,
: i haven't been formally grilled in philosophy, so apologies if this makes no sense or is textbook material.

: determinism (the newtonian variety) would deny free will without implying the existence of God. does that make it a counter to existensialism of sorts..? if not, where does it stand?
----------------------------
The thing that strikes me about this is that existentialism says that there is only meaning in the existence of things, that there is no essence of higher meaning behind them. Newtonian Determinism would say that everything we do is cuased by the movements of bodies and interactions of forces. Those bodies and that those forces are material existence --what is. The only room for free will would be if those bodies contained some essence of spirit that could intervene or transcend.

So Newtonian Determinism seems to be to be very exitentialist. BUt I also maintain that one can take soe ideas and cook up different conclusions from the same ingredients.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism