a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

No argument at all.

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Tuesday, November 26, 2002 at 19:06:49 :

In Reply to: What are the arguements for suicide? posted by ELDRAS on Tuesday, November 19, 2002 at 22:59:32 :

Suicide doesn't exist in arguments or in discussion. Suicide happens to people in pain. The pain is not rational, its not articulate. The pain doesn't need an argument to hurt, and the most obvious reason for a person to commit suicide is, "Life hurts too much."

Sure, people make arguments. The intellectual part of the mind has to feel like its doing something. We train it in this culture to outshout intuition, sentiment and other nonrational ways of knowing. So when the pain is too much the intellectual mind says, "Wait a second before you pull that trigger. I have to come up with some reason for it first.

My experience with crippling melancholy is that thoughts tend to spin circles. I don't consider circles to be arguments in the classic sense. arguments are very linear --taking us from one place to another. The vicious circles the suicidal gt trapped in don;t go anywhere, and that is what brings about the act --they're stuck, so they get out.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism