a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Re: The universe as a computer system

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by ELDRAS on Sunday, November 10, 2002 at 21:11:28 :

In Reply to: Re: The universe as a computer system posted by Obsolete Monarch on Thursday, November 07, 2002 at 05:45:32 :

: RULE #1: NEVER say "never" or "always".

: I'm not a physicist or cosmologist, but I read that there are exceptions to various "universal" laws. For example, matter cannot jump to different points in space instantaneously. In order to go from point A to point B, I must travel through all points between. Even light must obey this law. Yet on a subatomic level, electrons jump from one electron layer to the next in "zero time", meaning they jump from point A to point B WITHOUT travelling inbetween. Cutting edge physics is finding that the universe is not particularly logical. It can be quite arbitrary.

:
: : from eldras:

: : It isn't a new idea, just new to me.
: : It's being debated on kutzweilai.net mindx.

: : But as i'm designing a brain myslef, and studying a closed sysytems, i probably HAVE failed to state things i guess I thought obvious, but aren't.

: : 1. The universe follows laws. Nowhere in the universe is this untrue. Black holes are largely unknown, but they still have symmetry & predictability.

: : 2. All systems in the universe are predictable and most are similar.

: : Drat I do find this obvious.

: : 3. Cause & effect are absolute. Quantum mechanics has been returned to deterministic principles by the many worlds theory explanation of collapse or split of the universal wavelength.

: : 4. There are heirachies, systems and sub systems.

: : 5. There are cycles.

: : 6. There is mutation/evolution and we can create this in artificial software ponds see the link then look ar Darwin Pond in the list.

: :
: : What's happening there is bots are created on software and programmed to cross-breed for characteristics you define.

: : But another way of stating this is not that there is a purpose, but that it just happens.

Nope,
Many Worlds Theory resoves this:

MC Price on link below

Regards

Eldras

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title: