a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Uhh - that's O.M. vice O.R. - nt

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Lycinus on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 03:17:28 :

In Reply to: The O.R. and L. Mutual Admiration Society posted by Lycinus on Friday, November 08, 2002 at 02:59:25 :

: “Remember that to change your opinion and to follow him who corrects your error is not a surrender of freedom. Your action follows your own judgement and understanding and keeps the course your mind has set.” Marcus Aurelius

: “Honey tastes bitter to the jaundiced and water is horrible to a person with rabies; and a ball is a fine thing to children. Why then am I angry with anyone? Do you think that a false opinion has less power than bile in the jaundiced or poison in one who is bitten by a mad dog?” Marcus Aurelius - again – OK so I like Marcus
: Well welcome to the Obsolete Monarch and Lycinus mutual admirataion society!
: I like the Munchausen’s (I can’t remember the correct spelling either) analogy and yep, you’re definitely onto something. For many of these folks their sense of self is firmly wedded to holding the “proper” opinions and to being champions of the downtrodden.
: I think the dearth of considered rational responses you see is due to most considerate and rational folks believing exactly the things you rightly pointed out (there will be no conversions – lefties are wed to ideology – blind faith). I asked Anitah twice “what evidence would you accept?” because that really is the crux of the matter most of the time – they will not accept any evidence that calls their quasi-religious beliefs into question and they will accept assertion as evidence when it does support their fervent beliefs.
: I don’t have any illusions about enlightening the benighted savages. But I like to respond to nonsense with sense – even if it is highly unlikely that I’ll convince anyone among the faithful in the church of leftist subjectivist epistemology. It is good practice for some rather odd situations I find myself in out in the real world (as in not on the internet)
: Respectfully,
: Lycinus
: : Wow, I'm impressed! A superb posting! The internet is full of Loony Lefties, but it's quite rare that I come across a considered and rational response. You've demonstrated the triumph of dispassionate reason over the emotional, misinformed, internet rant.

: : Anitah has much to chew on, though I doubt she even finished reading your post. I suspect she is wed to her ideology with the same blind faith attributed to many extremists. If she is like the other far leftists I know (and being an artist, I'm friends with one or two), her contrarian outlook is a fundamental part of her identity. There will be no conversions here.

: : In a sense, I think folks like her suffer from a societal Munchousen's (sorry if I mangled the spelling) disorder. They gain a sense of potency and importance from feeling like they are fighting for the powerless. But they aren't interested in actually helping the powerless, because without the powerless, they are no longer necessary and important. Hmm, I think I'm on to something...
: :

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism