a cry towards the absurd

The struggle itself toward the heights is enough to fill a man's heart. One must imagine Sisyphus happy.Camus
mail list ° site map ° @  

existentialism ° art ° poetry ° exquisite corpse ° chat ° search engine
( the cry ) Philosophy Discussion Board

Rock and Roll

[Follow Ups] [Post Followup] [(the cry) philosophy discussion board]

Posted by Spratley on Tuesday, October 29, 2002 at 11:02:07 :

In Reply to: excuse my ignorance posted by cannotbe on Monday, October 28, 2002 at 20:54:37 :

: but what does that Camus quote mean? the
: "imagine sisyphus happy" one.

: I seem to have lost my mind . . .
-----------------------------------
I like Hard Truth's answer --its complete.

The way I think of this is in terms of mood. Like a lot of people these days, in this world, I have developed a relationship with depression. I've been on medication but I'm through with that. I've been to doctors but I think I'm through with all that. Depression is a part of me now. I know that I will again someday feel horribly dark and hopeless. It used to scare me, the prospect of having to feel that way again.

But somewhere along the way it stopped scaring me and I came to terms. I decided that I may not be able to keep from feeling depressed from time to time, but I wasn't going to let that depress me. Its the same thing.

Sisyphus --all of us-- can't escape the absurdity. But that's no reason to do something absurd like cry about your own absurdity. Fun, freedm and happiness are possible in absurdity, just as in depression. ITs only when the depressed person surrenders to it, sinks into it and allows it to feed and feedback in a destructive loop that depression is fatal. Same with absurdity.

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:
Subject:
URL:
Title:
Optional Image Link
URL:

thecry!!! existentialism